Dec 18, 2012

Sword and Ear~

We all know the story of when Jesus was taken in the Garden of Gethsemane.
He had taken Peter, James and John with him to pray the night before his crucifixion.
All but Jesus fell asleep until they heard the sound of the Roman soldiers marching in .

We are told in John 18 how Peter sliced off the ear of Malchus ( the high priest's servant)  before Jesus could tell him to put away his sword.

John 18:10

New International Version (NIV)
10 Then Simon Peter, who had a sword, drew it and struck the high priest’s servant, cutting off his right ear. (The servant’s name was Malchus.)


Jesus picked up the severed ear and placed it back on Malchus head.......
This my friends was His last miracle he performed before he was crucified and it was to heal one who had been hurt by his own disciple.


WOW!!

How many times in life, do we God's children, use the sword of the Spirit ( God's word) and hurt other in the process??

Do we stand behind God's word to justify our actions, our hurts and anger?
Are we cutting off ears with our swords (words)?

In reading Jon Courson's Application Commentary (New Testament) this was some of the questions he brings up in his topical study.
This has really hit some marks with me........

I pray daily to be more of Him and less of me, so you can just imagine how many light bulbs went off in my little ol' brain...
Sheesh!!!!

I began to ask.....
Lord do I cut off ears?
Have I unsheathed my sword??
Am I hurting others??

It is through God's word we are to lift others up.....
To encourage.....
To correct not destroy......
To give guidance and wisdom.......
To love unconditionally......

God does not intend for us to draw our swords for destruction and judgement of others.
In the words of Jon Courson....
" How many times do we quote scripture and recite verses only to bloody and beat people with our spirituality?"

Once again......
Are we standing behind God's word to justify our actions and or words????

For me, I choose not to cut off ears with my sword.
I want to be more like Jesus and in doing so, extending love no matter the circumstance and or situation.
( Goes back to taking the highroad)

We may mean well when we draw our sword, but before we strike,  we must stop and ask .....
Is this love or ear cutting???

Over the last few days I have had to re-evaluate my sword and to be honest there have been times I truly don't like the reasons why I unsheathed it.

Yes I am still a work in progress.....
And I believe and know He will complete HIS work in me!!!

Praise God!!!!

We are to preach the good news......
(God's love and salvation)
We were never instructed to beat and bloody others.......
Regardless of our emotions....

I encourage you, as well as myself, when we draw our swords,stop and ask.....
Am I cutting off an ear or am administering healing as Jesus did?
God wants ALL his children healed.....
Not destroyed~

xoxoxox
Stacey





Mark 16:15

New International Reader's Version (NIRV)
15 He said to them, “Go into all the world. Preach the good news to everyone.






* Photo Credit- Passion Movie. I take no credit for photo*

5 comments:

  1. Great post, Stacey! Brings to mind the words of Psalm 19:14...

    "May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer."

    Perhaps if we (me) would pray this more often, my weilding of the Word would bring healing and encouragement to the hearers.

    Or perhaps Ephesians 4:29 would be a good one, too...

    "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen."

    Thanks for challenging me today to think before I speak!

    Blessings,
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen Jan!! Thank you for your words of encouragment!!

    Blessings to you!!
    Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the challenge. I know I've cut off some ears before. Praying God continues use you here in these words of encouragement. Have a good holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Word my friend! The church has strayed so far away from showing others the love of Christ. Instead of loving people into the Kingdom, we think our telling them how bad they are and how they're going to hell will somehow get them to love and trust Christ! Really now? We must do better! Love ya girlie and have a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a great post! I have a feeling you do more healing than slicing with your words:)
    I've always loved everything you have written and I know if I could be with you in person, I would love everything you have to say :)
    Such a good lesson here, I will take it to heart!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always a Blessing~